Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] How do I recover IGMP Multicast address (using igmp.maddr does

From: "zze-CASTLEFORD David FTRD/RTA/LAN" <david.castleford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:40:28 +0200
Title: Message
Hi,

 I'm trying to develop a tool that monitors IGMP traffic and UDP traffic to calculate multicast TV "zapping" times, ie the time between joining a multicast group and receiving the corresponding UDP traffic, and the time between leaving a multicast group and no longer receiving the UDP traffic.

I'm using tethereal and the -z proto,colinfo option to try and capture the relevant IGMP info:

As  per http://www.ethereal.com/docs/dfref/i/igmp.html:

igmp.type
igmp.resp_time
igmp.??????? multicast address as displayed in Ethereal when looking at IGMP info……

In the DVMRP information (http://www.ethereal.com/docs/dfref/d/dvmrp.html) one can find the following igmp entries:

igmp.daddr      IPv4 address Dest Addr 0.9.0 to 0.10.3
igmp.maddr      IPv4 address Multicast Addr 0.9.0 to 0.10.3
igmp.naddr      IPv4 address Neighbor Addr 0.9.0 to 0.9.4       Note old version!
igmp.neighbor   IPv4 address Neighbor Addr 0.9.0 to 0.10.3
igmp.netmask    IPv4 address Netmask 0.9.0 to 0.10.3
igmp.saddr      IPv4 address Source Addr 0.9.0 to 0.10.3

igmp.maddr seems to correspond to the entry I want, i.e. the Multicast address as correctly displayed for IGMP messages in the Ethereal window.

Unfortunately using the display filter in Ethereal (igmp.maddr) shows no IGMP packets.  The entry is accepted ie green, but no packets are shown.

Using tethereal :

tethereal -f "igmp" -z proto,colinfo,igmp.maddr,igmp.maddr

gives no output…….the normal packet info and colinfo message is displayed, but not igmp.maddr == "Multicast address"

I've tried all the other igmp entries that have addresses in them, to no avail.

Using this approach for igmp.type works as expected,  as does igmp.resp_time.

If anyone has any ideas, has had the same problem or has seen it work, please let me know.

The only workaround I can see is using the -x option ie printing the hex and ascii dump (the verbose -V option could also be used but gives lots more data).

Running Ethereal 0.10.3 and WinPcap3.0 on Windows XP Professional.

Thanks for any help,

David Castleford