Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Intercepting a machine's communications.

From: Richard Urwin <RUrwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:33:02 +0100
> If Mozilla keeps on warning that we are sending unencrypted
> datas, it means
> there is probably a risk that these datas could be
> intercepted, isn't it ?

Yes, if the intercepting machine is on a LAN through which the data is
travelling, and that LAN uses a hub (which is getting rare now even at the
low end of the market) or an enterprise class switch that can "span" (ie
mirror) the required traffic flow to the intercepting computer.

If you tell us how you and your friend's network is set up, and that
includes the model number of your hub, we can tell you if it is possible and
how.

--
Richard Urwin, Software Design Engineer
Schenck Test Automation