Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] promiscuous mode help

From: Joyce Lin <joycelin_01@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 13:17:25 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

  I am trying to capture packets in promiscuous mode.
My (only configured) network card is a 3Com 3c920 but
configured in Red Hat 9 as a 3c905c.  When I ask
Ethereal to capture in promiscuous mode, it doesn't --
all I receive is my own traffic plus UDP broadcast
messages.  I used ifconfig  ("ifconfig eth0 promisc")
to put the card into promiscuous mode, but still
nothing.  This is what I get for eth0 when I type in
ifconfig:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr
00:06:5B:B9:8B:D2
          inet addr:192.168.1.105  Bcast:192.168.1.255
 Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST
MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:120227 errors:0 dropped:0
overruns:1 frame:0
          TX packets:73141 errors:0 dropped:0
overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:151750568 (144.7 Mb)  TX
bytes:7873480 (7.5 Mb)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xec80

I'm pretty sure I've captured in promiscuous mode with
this card before so I'm wondering what's up.  Thanks
in advance for any help!