Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Joining and a Question

From: Richard Urwin <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 11:36:13 +0100
On Tuesday 30 Mar 2004 7:54 pm, kjm@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi and thank you for responding.......
>
> I actually resolved the F7 issue.
>
> F5 has now become my problem. Ethereal is telling me that on my
> ibm3151 system when F5 was hit it sent this information....
>
> 00000000  1b 65 0d                                         .e.
>
> (no wrap though)
>
> I am trying to take that information and interpret in a custom app I
> am building that uses vt320_7 emulation to tell it to mimic the F5
> that is being sent.
>
> So far I have not had any luck. The best I could interpreted it was
>
> Chr(27) & Chr(101) & Chr(13) but all that did was send the letter "e"
> and the enter key.
>
> Might you have ideas on how I might go about this?

It looks to me like you are going about it the right way. You could use
ethereal to view only data from the terminal by using a display filter
of "ip.src==<terminal address>" but there's not much else that is
ethereal-related in your problem. Ethereal just reports what it sees on
the wire. You can use it to compare your simulator to the real terminal
but that's all. It doesn't understand IBM3151 protocol so you would
have to decode the bytes yourself, but you can trust it to report the
bytes correctly.

There's a lot of interesting stuff at:
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal_index.html

Make sure you send the characters at the same time, any delay between
them would be taken as them being different keystrokes.

Might the VT320_7 emulator notice that you are sending characters that
might be interpreted as a single keystoke, and helpfully ensure they
are seen as separate?

--
Richard Urwin