Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] TCP Stream graph statistic problem

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 23:50:33 -0800
On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:29:56AM +0700, Sripat.Sringkarn@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Can anyone help me about how to use TCP statistic graph to monitor TCP
> statistic because when I click on manu bar like "statistics --> TCP stream
> graph --> Troughput Graph:" i got the error message "Selected packet is
> not a TCP segment". How can I do to solve this problem?

By either

	1) capturing either on Ethernet or a PPP interface on an OS
	   where libpcap supplies PPP packets as PPP or fake Ethernet
	   packets (note that Linux is *NOT* such an OS);

	2) if you are capturing on one of those, getting a newer version
	   of Ethereal (it didn't handle some types of PPP captures with
	   PPP headers in some older versions);

	3) patching the TCP Graph code to use the "tap" mechanism rather
	   than parsing of the link-layer, IP, and TCP headers itself;

	4) patching the TCP Graph code to handle the link-layer headers
	   for the type of network on which you're capturing.

If you do 3) or 4), send us the patch.

> P.S. the packet I selected showed "TCP" in Protocol field.

The error message needs to be changed to be "Selected packet is not a
TCP segment on Ethernet, PPP, or raw IP", or something such as that.