Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] checksum

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:18:37 +0100

I would like to know if there is any utility to generate a checksum for the packets.
The problem appears below:

***** CHECKSUM ERROR *****

Depending on your Operating System (i.e. Windows 2000/XP/Me) and version of your
Network Interface Card Driver you can get, after import of your capture-file
in MergeDPM, the following error in the analyzer:
W: Invalid checksum found in packet, ignoring packet. Some data may be lost.
I: Sniffer state indicates TCP packet set is INCOMPLETE (NO FIN_FROM_A_AND_B detected)

This problem is caused by the fact that the option 'Checksum Offload' for your NIC is enabled.
You can fix this via:
- Go via 'Start', 'Settings' to 'Control Panel'.
- Double click on 'Network and Dialup Connections'.
- Double click on 'Local Area Connections'.
- Click on 'Properties'.
- Click on 'Configure'.
- Go to the tab 'Advanced'.
- Set the options 'Rx Chechsum Offload' and 'Tx Chechsum Offload' to 'Disable'.
- Click two times on 'OK' and one time on 'Close'.

After this you have to create a new capture file before you can analyze it in MergeDPM.

This is all very well for network cards which allow for Checksum Offload.
The Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection has no such option and thus I cannot use
the software.
What would be very nice is a utility to force in a correct checksum, even off line.

Thanks,
Ilan