Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Bug reporting about IPMI protocol

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:38:17 -0800

On Dec 12, 2003, at 1:15 AM, Joseph Hsiao wrote:

I found a bug in Ethereal IPMI protocol that some IPMI command names do not
match those in IPMI specification:

NetFn        CMD        CMD name in spec.                CMD name in Ethereal
S/E        20h        Get Device SDR Info                Get SDR Repository Info
S/E        23h        Get Sensor Reading Factors        Get SDR

Actually, that bug doesn't appear to be in the current CVS version.

Command codes are decoded by "get_netfn_cmd_text()", which takes a NetFn value and a CMD value as arguments.

If the NetFn value is 0x04 or 0x05, the CMD value is decoded with the "ipmi_se_cmd_vals[]" table, which has "Get Device SDR Info" for 0x20 and "Get Sensor Reading Factors" for 0x23.

Only if the NetFn value is 0x0a or 0x0b does it use the "ipmi_storage_cmd_vals[]" table, which has "Get SDR Repository Info" for 0x20 and "Get SDR" for 0x23, as it should, at least according to the 1.5 rev 1.1 IPMI spec.

If you have a capture that appears to show the wrong command name, check that the NetFn value is 0x04 or 0x05; if it is, send it to us, so we can figure out why the wrong table is being used.