Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display

From: Stef <stefmit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 14:40:57 -0600
Just went through this exercise, with same problems you were having, as I got my first iBook (and Mac) ever!!! Here are the pointers to relevant information:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?s=79212802dbf686260768d244bd9919be&threadid=10316

http://homepage.mac.com/sao1/fink/index.html

What happened was that I did not pay attention to the order of doing things, and I screwed up the fink "knowledge" of X11 placement (it was "confused" between Apple's X11 and the xfree386 that some people install, myself included - not really fully installing it, as it won't do it on top of Apple's one - but enough to screw up the configuration as far as fink was concerned). What I did was to blow up the whole /sw structure, get rid of finkcommander and fink, reinstall Apple's X11 (by far the best - no need to mess around with xfree386 anymore!!!), then the SDK, then fink, then follow each step from the second site above.

Then - in the end - I installed ethereal through finkcommander (0.9.14) and I was in business!

If you know all of the above, I apologize. To me this was quite an interesting experience - I booted the first time in my life a Mac this weekend, and - even coming from a Linux background - had some issues with understanding the X stuff.

HTH,
Stef<x-tad-smaller>
</x-tad-smaller>