Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Panther won't sniff?

From: "Claude V. Lucas" <claudel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 08:52:34 -0700
Hi

I'm a noob to the list, so if this has been covered, please point me to the
answer.

I've been trying to build/use Ethereal on a Ti Powerbook 1Ghz/1Gb ram
running OS X 10.3.1 with the latest software updates applied.
I'm having several problems that I'd appreciate a bit of help with.

Building:

I grabbed the newest tarball from the website ( 0.9.16 ), untarred,etc.
Ran ./configure; make. The build fails, complaining about not having
stuff to build the i386 architecture. No problem. I edit the various
Makefiles and remove references to "-arch i386". Build proceeds and
fails compilation of strncasecmp.c because it can't find an include
#include <ansidecl.h>. No problem. I commented out that line and the
build completes. sudo make install. no problems.

Can anyone suggest a better workaround/hack/fix? Where can I get
a ansidecl.h and where should it live? Do I need the i386 stuff for
OS X. I think not, but I've been incorrect before.

Using the tool:

Here's my big problem. I launch the tool from a root X window,
set my collection parameters, start the scan, packets get snarfed,
no worries. After a varying period of time ( longest ~43 minutes )
the main window vanishes. The capture window remains, with the various
counters still incrementing, so I think that it is still partially/mostly
working, although beyond control. The following error messages are
left in the root X window:

*** malloc: vm_allocate(size=131072) failed (error code=4294966995)
*** malloc[7594]: error: Can't allocate region
mach_port_type() failed (ipc/mig) wrong reply message ID
task_get_bootstrap_port() failed (ipc/mig) wrong reply message ID
Abort

I'm not a coder, so this is pretty much meaningless to me. I'd guess
a memory leak of some sort is exhausting the resource, but whaddo I know?

In order to rule out my build hacks as a source of this irritation I
downloaded & installed the latest prebuilt OS X binary from Fink, which
produces pretty much the same results as far as vanishing main window.

Any insights?

Thanks in advance

Claude