Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] root process, preferences files

From: Richard Urwin <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 00:35:12 +0000
On Tuesday 02 Dec 2003 10:18 pm, Guy Harris wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2003, at 1:46 AM, Nosnos wrote:
> >  tethereal could not acces to eth0
>
> Then you're probably running on Linux, in which case you need to be
> root, unless there's some way to get Ethereal or Tethereal to run with
> the CAP_NET_RAW capability bit (I don't know how to arrange that it run
> with that bit set).

With 2.4 kernels it needs a patch to Ethereal. Someone posted such a patch to
the list a month or so back. IIUC, the current feeling is that as the general
support will be provided in kernel 2.6 and no widely used application
currently uses the capability bits, patching the standard Ethereal build
ahead of 2.6 is not a good idea.

In standard 2.4 kernel buids, CAP_NET_RAW is cleared when a process starts a
new program, so the patch has to be within Ethereal. There is a switch in the
kernel build to disable that, so a program could set up the permissions and
then start Ethereal, but there are well-known exploits that can then cause
the system to be open to root hacks. That is the reason the switch is off as
standard.

IIUC, in kernel 2.6 the Ethereal executable can be marked as having specific
capabilities, rather than just a single suid flag. So no patches will be
necessary.

--
Richard Urwin