Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] filter problem?

From: Jack Jackson <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:52:03 -0800
At 10:25 PM 10/26/2003, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
Maybe you need this one instead? ip.addr eq n.n.n.n

No, because that is a display filter and the original question is about "host n.n.n.n" which is a capture filter.

filter "host n.n.n.n" gives me only packets where n.n.n.n is the source, even though I have not specified "src host n.n.n.n". can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

I know I am getting the traffic because capture with no filter shows traffic in both directions.

I have seen an oddity like this when capturing traffic on Windows and the traffic is coming over a VPN connection. With no capture filter I see all traffic, but with an IP address capture filter for the IP address of the other end of a connection I see only traffic in one direction.