Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] rtp statistics--how is delay calculated?

From: "John York" <YorkJ@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:16:40 -0400

I found a post on this in the archives, but no one answered.  So …

The new RTP statistics tool (tools > statistics > rtp analysis) is great, and I especially like the ability to save the data in csv format.  I can then compute average delay, plot histograms of jitter, lost packet data, etc.

However, I’m trying to document the quality of our h.323 traffic across the WAN and I’m getting strange results.  The average delay for a connection between 2 units on the same switch is about 59 msec.  When I do the same measurement and computation for 2 units connected across the WAN, the average delay is still 59 msec.  This can’t be correct.  Can anyone tell me how delay and jitter are calculated in Ethereal?

Thanks

John

John York

Network Engineer