Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] jumbo files, seeks, and STDIN

From: Matt Sisk <sisk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:38:54 -0500
Hello,

I'm having trouble processing some fairly large tcpdump files around 10-15 gigs in size. I'm hitting a 2gb limit, I think:

    tethereal: The file "./tcp.foo.gz" could not be opened:
    Value too large for defined data type.

In order to avoid this problem, I'd hoped to feed the file into tethereal via STDIN or through a named pipe. In both cases this fails because of the seeks used for autodetecting the type of input file.

Is there a workaround for this?

If not, would it be possible to pass the file type as a command line argument, thereby avoiding the initial seeks?

Thank you for your help,
Matt Sisk