Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] -title for managing multiple instances of ethereal

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:41:24 -0700

On Oct 8, 2003, at 9:07 AM, Dolbow, Bill wrote:

Hey guys, We are using Ethereal on Redhat as a distributed sniffer at my
company.   We are really enjoying it, including the best feature of all
which is multiple instances of ethereal running, BUT, we would like to have a -title type of option. We get lost with multiple X-windows open sniffing
different segments or with different captures.

Can we get a command line option like -title on the radar screen.

Ethereal uses "getopt()", so options must have single-letter names, meaning "-title" wouldn't work. "-T" is already taken, unless we decide that setting the tree view pane height from a command-line option isn't useful.

We could use the GNU "getopt_long()", provide "--title", and carry our own copy for platforms that don't have it, although note that there's more than one implementation of it, which differ in some behaviors:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi? query=getopt_long&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.1- current&format=html

	http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2000-12/msg00032.html

asserts that FreeBSD has a "gnugetopt" library for it, but the FreeBSD 5.0 man page says it's in libc; perhaps it was in libgnugetopt in some older BSDs.)

It should
put the text in the title bar of both the main window and the capture window
when a capture is running.   Maybe we can shorten "The Ethereal Network
Analyzer" to just "Ethereal - (title passed via command line)".

"(title passed via command line) - Ethereal" would probably be better. Most desktop environments and window managers truncate window titles at the right if they truncate (e.g., in icons/taskbar items), so the application name is probably best put at the end (at least for applications with icons), although that might cause problems for blind users (if the screen-reading software can't get the name of the application for a window in other ways).

That's why, when a named capture file is open, we make the window title "(filename) - Ethereal".

BTW, that raises another question - if the user specifies, for example

	ethereal --title "This morning's SYN flood attack" syn_flood.pcap

should the "--title" override the file name, so that the title would be

	This morning's SYN flood attack - Ethereal

rather than

	syn_flood.pcap - Ethereal

?

In addition, the current version of Microsoft Network Monitor has, under the Window menu for capture files, a "Label" item, to let you set the window title. Something such as that might be useful in Ethereal.

Also, as the problem is probably more severe when capturing or when you have a temporary capture file rather than a named capture file, a field in the Capture dialog box to let you set the title might be useful.