Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal V0.9.14 hangs (resent as plain text)

From: "McNutt, Justin M." <McNuttJ@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:13:14 -0500
Ethereal is not actually hung.  Just very, very slow.  If you run a caching name server somewhere locally, you might be able to make this much faster, or as you say, you can turn off DNS resolution and work around the problem.

Either one will work well.  If you go for the workaround, but you still really need DNS resolution in some cases, you can resolve the names on specific packets by right-clicking on the IP header in the decode window and choosing "Resolve Name".  The Source and Destination fields in the expanded IP decode will then show the DNS names for the hosts.

I'm running 0.9.13a on Win2K at the moment, and the only complaint I have is that when you do the Resolve Name thing, it doesn't update the IP header summary line in the decode window, nor the summary pane at the top, nor any other packets to/from the same host(s), nor does it retain the lookup information if you click away and click back.  Some or all of these may be fixed in 0.9.14 (or a later release).

I'm not complaining real loudly, though.  Several really cool things I asked for got implemented in 0.9.14 (Unlimited ring buffer files!  Woo hoo!), so DNS lookups are the least of my worries.  Thanks, guys!

--J