Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] W2K Laptop

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:56:16 -0700

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 11:23 AM, Steve Hill wrote:

I have just upgraded my laptop to Win2000 (my first exposure to this
OS) and when I try to start a ethereal capture, I see no network
adaptors in the pull-down menu.

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.16

Does anyone have a troubleshooting scenario that I can use to
diagnose, and then fix, this problem?

Diagnose? Yes, the above shows how to diagnose it, but you have to be unafraid to run WinPcap from the command line.

Fix? Maybe, maybe not - it's almost certainly a WinPcap problem rather than an Ethereal problem, and WinPcap problems might be problems with the underlying network adapter driver and/or NDIS, and neither we nor the Winpcap developers have source to those drivers or to Windows 2000.

The WinPcap developers are probably more likely to know why a WinPcap problem such as that would occur, which is why, if it's a WinPcap problem (i.e., if WinDump can't handle the interface, either), that FAQ suggests contacting them.