Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Problem installing Eth 0.9.13a on windows terminalserver

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:38:20 -0700

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 12:02 PM, Martin Regner wrote:

Giuseppe Grasso wrote:
<I have installed winpcap_3_0 and ethereal 0.9.13a on Windows terminal server without any error message
<but when I try to start the application I always get the error
<
<
<Application exception occurred:
<        App: ethereal.exe (pid=311)
<        When: 7/15/2003 @ 14:11:9.0
<        Exception number: c0000094 (divide by zero)

I think it is a GTK+ problem. You can this crash e.g. when using "wrong" drivers for your video card.

Unfortunately, I suspect that he's running Ethereal on a remote machine using Windows Terminal Server (he mentioned WTS, presumably because Ethereal is running on a remote WTS machine, not on his desktop machine), in which case it's not displaying on a video card - the driver is sending WTS protocol requests over the wire, not painting pixels - in which case he might not have a choice of drivers.

I don't know why GTK+ has problems with those video drivers, although I think WTS might only (at last in some versions) do only 8-bit color, in which case GTK+ 1.2[.x] can't handle it in any case - it's supposed to print an error, but it might be that, in some cases, it crashes because, for example, some video card property is zero and it divides by that value without checking it first.

I think I saw something indicating that the Win32 GTK+ 2.x doesn't have the 8-bit-color limitation; it might also avoid the divide-by-zero problem. Once we get the GTK+ 2.x performance to a reasonable level, we might want to use it, rather than 1.3[.x], for Win32.