Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Problem running ethereal

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:26:35 -0700
On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 06:21:06PM +0100, Richard Urwin wrote:
> The technology is coming, but is not quite ready.

It's been in the kernel for ages, I think - when *is* it going to be
ready?

In The Other Family Of Free UNIXes, I can fairly easily let myself
capture packets as myself:

	% ls -l /dev/bpf*
	crw-------  1 guy  wheel   23,   0 Jun  9  2002 /dev/bpf0
	crw-------  1 guy  wheel   23,   1 Jun  9  2002 /dev/bpf1

although it's a bit more of a pain on the BSDs that have a devfs (in
FreeBSD you could set a policy to give yourself access to the BPF
devices; I'll have to see whether the BSD from Cupertino lets you do
that).

> I use Ethereal by logging in as a user and then su or sudo to get to
> root.

I don't think that'll help with the X permissions stuff - I think the
access checking for UNIX-domain socket accesses is based on either the
effective or real user ID of the process trying to access the screen, so
he'd probably still have to let root open windows.