Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] How to analyze the transactions of RPC services that are lo

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:38:07 -0800
On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 02:25:40PM -0500, Kailasanathan_Ram@xxxxxxx wrote:
>  Since we use UDP as the transport level protocol, I have tried "not tcp" as
> filter. This shows all the relevant traffic between different hosts
> but it doesn't show me the traffic within the same box. IS it possible to
> analyze the traffic happening within the same box where
> the source and destination IP addresses are the same using Ethereal.

If you want to capture the traffic going to 192.9.200.1 from
192.9.200.1, the capture filter is

	src host 192.9.200.1 and dst host 192.9.200.1

although note that this traffic will probably *NOT* go out over a real
network interface - it'll probably go out over a loopback interface on
UNIX, so you'd have to capture on the loopback interface, and will just
get looped back without going out on *any* sniffable interface on
Windows.

Unfortunately, the only OSes I know of where you can capture on the
loopback interface are:

	Linux;

	various BSDs;

	Digital UNIX.

You cannot, for example, do it on Solaris.