Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] 802.11 sniffing on Win2K Platform

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:09:25 -0800
On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:06:06PM -0500, Joshua Wright wrote:
> Is this because of a limitation of winpcap?

Yes, although that limitation is ultimately a limitation of Windows; see
my other reply, listing what needs to be done to support capturing raw
802.11 packets, and note that the first item (in a list where the Nth
item is a dependency for the N+1st item) is something Microsoft has to
do in the Windows NDIS mechanism.

> It's probably cheaper to use an existing laptop and VMWare to run
> Linux under Win2K.  :)

Try running Win2K on Linux instead.  Even if VMWare does support a
virtual 802.11 interface, it wouldn't be able to put it into monitor
mode unless it could put the real interface into monitor mode, and that
would be possibly only if

	1) the first two items on my dependency list in the other item
	   had been done

or

	2) VMWare supplied their own driver for the real 802.11
	   interface.