Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] unsupported Ethernet type 10

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 10:51:35 -0800
On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 06:57:21PM +0100, EXT / SITICOM KURZWEG wrote:
> Hmmm... I had moved back to version 0.9.4, so I re-installed version 0.9.7
> to reproduce the bug and this time it... worked!

Well, that's weird.

> I'm just wondering what happened there. The only difference between the 2
> attempts is that, the first time, I launched the installation from an SMB
> share... but I can't see why this would make any difference.

I can't either.

> FYI the capture format of Optiview probes is "Sun snoop" (it's what Ethereal
> Summary screen gives for the file).

The snoop file reader hadn't changed in a way to make a difference
there, either.  (The message the snoop file reader would report would
either be

	snoop: network type N unknown or unsupported

or

	snoop: Shomiti network type N unknown or unsupported

depending on whether the file looked as if it were a real snoop file or
a Shomiti modified snoop file (a "real snoop file" comes from snoop or
atmsnoop on SunOS 5.x; Shomiti apparently didn't understand that the
encapsulation types listed in RFC 1761 were just DLPI DL_ types and that
more types might be added - some types for ATM were later added, and Sun
used one of them for atmsnoop captures).