Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Problem

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:48:07 -0800
On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 06:02:02PM -0500, Oleg Zolotykh wrote:
> I have encounter a problem while using Ethereal Network Analyzer. It deals
> with long values of the attributes in LDAP protocol. The values which are
> longer than approximately 150 characters are not displayed.

> I'd like to know if there is a way to change this limitation. It would be
> nice to set a number of characters to be displayed and truncate the others
> for instance.
> Looks like the problem has to do with proto_tree_set_string() function in
> proto.c file.

No, it doesn't, as that function does not impose any length restrictions
on strings.

The truncation is the result of the way the buffer for the
displayable/printable string for a field is allocated; they are
fixed-length buffers, allocated from a GLib "memory chunk", and are
ITEM_LABEL_LENGTH, or 240, bytes long.

See "proto_tree_set_representation()".

The way to change the limitation is to change the value for
ITEM_LABEL_LENGTH in "proto.c" and recompile.