Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] ethereal 0.9.4-0.7.2.0 crash on Red Hat Linux 7.2

Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:12:52 -0400
hi,

i just started using ethereal on a new installation of Red Hat Linux -
version 7.2. it seems to be working fine for most of the common
protocols like ARP/TCP/HTTP etc.

but when i capture SNMP packets (which show up as UDP packets)
ethereal crashes. the crash occurs as soon as i click on the SNMP/UDP
packet. this would seem that the problem lies with the decoding of the
SNMP packets only.

the ethereal crash is accompanied by the following message on the
command line:

 > ethereal: error while loading shared libraries:
 > ethereal: undefined symbol: sprint_realloc_objid

i faced the same problem with an earlier version of ethereal that was
pre installed on my system. the problem remained when i upgraded to
ethereal 0.9.4-0.7.2.0. would this mean that there is conflict with
some library on my system ?

i am running the GNOME window manager on my Linux system and have the
following ethereal packages installed

1. ethereal-0.9.4-0.7.2.0.i386.rpm
2. ethereal-gnome-0.9.4-0.7.2.0.i386.rpm

any help will be appreciated. if additional information is required,
please let me know.

thanks in advance,
M.