Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] New User : No Interface defined : Help

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:27:00 -0700
On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 02:45:52PM -0400, Jeffrey Karpenko wrote:
> I was recently introduced to the Ethereal-setup-0.9.4.exe and WinPcap 2.3
> combination.  However, to be able to capture an interface must be defined.
>
> MY SYSTEM:
> Windows 2000 server SP2
>
> The CAPTURE/START menu option brings up a window to define my capture but
> the only thing in my Interface: section is a ":" .  Reading your FAQ page I
> found a couple of entries about the same type thing but none of those fixes
> work.

Not all of the FAQ items have "fixes".  The main FAQ for that particular
problem:

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q4.13

says that if certain things are true, this is the problem from the
previous FAQ; that FAQ:

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q4.12

merely has information on attempting to use WinDump on the same
interface (to check whether Ethereal is the source of the problem -
which it probably isn't) and, if WinDump can't handle that interface
either, on how to report this to the WinPcap developers (as it's a
WinPcap problem, not an Ethereal problem).

You should follow the directions in that FAQ that start with

	If you are having trouble capturing on a particular network
	interface, and you've made sure that (on platforms that require
	it) you've arranged that packet capture support is present, as
	per the above, first try capturing on that device with tcpdump -
	or, on Windows, the tcpdump port to Windows, named WinDump; see
	the WinDump Web site, the local mirror of the WinDump Web site,
	or the Wiretapped.net mirror of the WinDump site, for
	information on using WinDump.