Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Problem Capturing Packets

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 15:12:57 -0700
On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 06:07:14PM -0400, Walt Farrell wrote:
> When I try to capture packets, both WinDump and Ethereal report "Error
> opening adapter: The system cannot find the file specified."

That means it's probably a WinPcap problem, not an Ethereal problem or a
WinDump problem.

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q4.12

is the FAQ for

	I have an XXX network card on my machine; it doesn't show up in
	the list of interfaces in the "Interface:" field in the dialog
	box popped up by "Capture->Start", and/or Ethereal gives me an
	error if I try to capture on that interface.

and gives details on how to report WinPcap problems.

> Any suggestions for how to resolve this?

Ask the WinPcap people.

> Any way to get a more detailed
> diagnostic error message, that would tell me what's really happening?

The diagnostic message is what WinPcap gives us; that's all we can
display.

The "Submitting Bugs" section of the WinPcap support page, to which the
FAQ in question refers, gives information on how to get more detailed
information to send to the WinPcap developers, by downloading a special
debugging version of WinDump and running it.