Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Colors setting for Ethereal ?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:08:35 -0700
On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 03:25:59PM -0400, Eckert, Christopher wrote:
> Didn't know it slowed it down! Still, of the 13 Network Engineers and 20
> something helpdesk people I have that I must make comfortable with Ethereal,
> Almost all like being able to separate the protocols visually.

There are about 260 protocols currently supported by Ethereal; do they
really want somebody to pick 260 or so colors?  Or do they just have a
small selection of protocols to which they want colors assigned?

> If I can apply a single file to make a single color set be used then I can
> color the protocols they have to look for most often and make the coloring
> the same on every machine. If this will make them more comfortable using
> Ethereal at first then it is a good thing.
>
> So we are sort of back to the question asked by Cedric. Are the color
> settings handled within a single file and if so which file is that?

No, the questions he asked were

	Does anobody has already configured a set of colors for various
	protocol (TCP, IP, UDP, SNMP, SMTP....)

and

	If yes ? can you send me the file you've set

so he presumably already *knew* that color filters are stored in a file,
and what file it is.

He probably *also* knows that there's no single system-wide file for
those colors; the colors are per-user settings, and each user has their
own file.

The file is "colorfilters", in the directory that holds the user's
personal configuration files - that'd be the ".ethereal" directory under
the user's home directory on UNIX, and the "Application Data\Ethereal"
directory under the user's profile directory on Windows.

The best way to create such a file is to load a capture file in
Ethereal, select color filters with the "Colorize Display..." item under
the "Display" menu, and save the filters with the "Save" button in the
dialog box, which will write that file out as your "colorfilters" file.