Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] 2 questions need your help!

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:30:41 -0800 (PST)
> I am currently working on a project that related to iSCSI protocol. Please
> provide help on following questions:

That's 4 questions, not 2. :-)

> (2) I am trying to build a iSCSI watcher. Beside the ability to monitor
> iSCSI protocol by the
>     latest build of Ethereal, is there anyway I can enhance it?

Well, you can't enhance Ethereal by adding the ability to analyze iSCSI,
because it already has that ability. :-)

There's a wish list for Ethereal at

	http://www.ethereal.com/development.html#wishlist

and there are probably a number of other Ethereal features that aren't
in the wish list.

Somebody else said they're doing an iSNS dissector.  There might be
other protocols worth adding, or enhancements to existing dissectors.

> (3) There is "plug-in" referred by some document from your website and
> related links. What does it
>     really mean, can it apply to my 2nd question?

A "plug-in" is a protocol dissector that's loaded from a separate
shared library/DLL file when Ethereal starts, rather than being linked
into Ethereal's binary, so it doesn't directly apply.

> (4) To get quick understanding about how Ethereal deal with iSCSI, what
> source file should I focus on?

"packet-iscsi.c", which is the source file containing the dissector for
the iSCSI protocol.