Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] newbie questions

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:51:31 -0800 (PST)
> Q2.  After creating a display filter and attempting to save it I get an error
> "can't create directory c:"
>         your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

This is a bug that will be fixed in the next release.

The workaround is:

	if you have a C:\.ethereal directory, rename it to C:\Ethereal

	if you don't have a C:\.ethereal directory, create a directory
	C:\Ethereal

> Q3. I understand that display filters and capture filters have a different
> syntax.
>         I must be missing the area of the documentation on how this is done.

Display filter syntax is in the Ethereal manual page, which I think
might come with the Ethereal Windows distribution in HTML form.  See
also

	http://www.ethereal.com/ethereal.1.html

Capture filter syntax is in the tcpdump/WinDump man page, as Ethereal
and tcpdump/WinDump use the same routine in the same library to handle
capture filters.  You should check the WinDump man page, at

	http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/windump/docs/manual.htm

> Q5.  Are their any examples of filters available.  I am looking for a filter
> that captures all traffic between
>          to specific IP addresses.

There are some examples of capture filters in the WinDump man page; look
for the "EXAMPLES" section.

One example from there is

	To print traffic between helios and either hot or ace:

		tcpdump host helios and \( hot or ace \)

Note that the "tcpdump" part is *NOT* part of the filter, and you must
*NOT* type it in the dialog box for a capture; it's part of the command
line to run tcpdump (as tcpdump/WinDump is a command-line program).

So, to capture between two IP addresses, use the filter

	host {first address} and {second address}

where "{first address}" and "{second address}" are the IP addresses or
host names for the two machines.