Ethereal-users: Re: Re: [Ethereal-users] Can I change the default interface for capture?

From: Jack Spaar <jspaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 08:01:47 +0000

Guy Harris wrote:

>Unfortunately, the recommended way of getting the path of the
>application data directory, using "SHGetFolderPath()" with a
>CSIDL_APPDATA argument doesn't recommend
>
>	1) where to get this wonderful magical coated-with-pixie-dust
>	   "shfolder.dll" file to install on Tired Old Windows releases
>	   that lack it and lack "SHGetFolderPath()";
>
>	2) when to install that (always?  If the OS doesn't have its own
>	   "shfolder.dll"?)

Ain't Windows a joy?  I can see this is not
nearly as simple a fix as it should be.

RE #2, On my Win98 box there are 2 copies of
shfolder.dll - one in \windows\system and an
older one in the program dir for Adobe Photoshop.
Leads me to believe that you could choose to always
install in the ethereal program dir.  OR - never
install it, but use it if it links else fall
back on c:\ethereal or whatever.

Wish there was a GPL'd equivalent.

>Try setting $USERPROFILE instead.

Thanks that does work fine.

Ok, different but related question: did ethereal
install c:\user\mibs?  This would be another
candidate for eventual retargeting.  If it's
data that's shared by all users but not by other
programs, it could go under \prog files\ethereal.
Or either \prog files\common files\ethereal or
\windows\app data\ethereal.  Not sure which is
"best practice".  Sigh.