Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Can I change the default interface for capture?

From: "jspaar" <jspaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:13:49 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Jack Spaar" <jspaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 1:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Ethereal-users] Can I change the default interface for
capture?

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 04:01:16AM +0000, Jack Spaar wrote:
> > I'm using Win98, and do have an Application Data
> > dir under \Windows\Profiles\<user name>.  Not
> > sure why ethereal didn't find it Guy.
>
> What happens if you start up an MS-DOS prompt window and type the "set"
> command?  What does it report?

There are no env variables with anything like a home directory.  Apparently
it's not "the windows way".  Probably the user's "home" is supposed to be
pulled
from the registry.  I did try setting $HOME in a command shell to my user
profile dir and then running ethereal from that shell, just to see if
it would behave like a unix app.  No dice.

Closest vars you get are $windir and $winbootdir, both set to c:\windows.

-Jack-