Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Can I change the default interface for capture?

From: Jack Spaar <jspaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 04:01:16 +0000
Guy Harris wrote:

>What version of Windows are you using?
>
>Ethereal will store preferences and other personal >settings in an
>"Ethereal" subdirectory of your "Application Data" >directory only if you
>have an "Application Data" directory or it can create one >- and it can
>only create one if you have a "profile" directory.

I'm using Win98, and do have an Application Data
dir under \Windows\Profiles\<user name>.  Not
sure why ethereal didn't find it Guy.  I tried
creating an ethereal dir there but no joy.  It's
only happy when I manually create c:\ethereal.

Any Windows programmers out there who can tell us
what the current best practice for saving prefs would
be that would work for all versions of Windows?

Personally I like the profile based directory
solution.  Not sure why it's not working on win98.

-Jack-