Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Adding new protocols without recompiling?

From: CarstenFuchs@xxxxxxxxxxx (Carsten Fuchs)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 00:41:32 +0200
> > I've written a simple decoder for that file format
>
> ...there should rarely be a need to write a decoder for it - just write
> an application that uses "pcap_open_offline()" and "pcap_loop()".

Oh -- sorry. What I really wanted to say was that instead of writing
a dissector module I just wrote a program that reads the capture file
and then decodes my own protocol.
Although that certainly is not as comfortable as a decoder plug-in
for Ethereal, it is easier for me to program (at least at the moment).
Will write a true dissector module later.  ;)
Again, lots of thanks for your help.

Carsten

--
Ca3D - Engine    http://www.ca3d-engine.de