Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal 0.8.18 and promiscuous on Solaris 2.8

From: "Andrew Wu" <awu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 21:29:46 -0700 (PDT)
Thank you so much for your help, Your trick of doing a capture with "Update list of packets in
real time" turn off and "promiscuous mode" turn on do cure the problem on the following platforms
for me:

   Ethereal 0.8.18 on Solaris 2.8 Sparc (Sun Ultra10)
   Ethereal 0.8.18 on Solaris 2.8 x86 (Compaq Deskpro)
   Ethereal 0.8.18 on NT Workstation V4 (Dell Latitude CPTi)

So is it a bug applied to all platforms where Ethereal had been ported to?

Thanks again.

Andrew.

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:20:35 -0700 (PDT), Guy Harris wrote:

>> I have Ethereal 0.8.18 installed on two Solaris 2.8 systems, one is a
>> Ultra10 with hme NIC and one is a Compaq Deskpro with elxl NIC. Ethereal
>> running on these two systems cannot put the network interface into
>> promiscuous mode,
>
>Is promiscuous mode enabled in the "Capture Preferences" dialog box?  If
>not, you need to enable it - it's not the default in 0.8.18.  (It will
>be the default in the next release, although if you've saved your
>preferences when the most recent capture wasn't promiscuous, the default
>will be the saved non-promiscuous value - you will need to do a
>promiscuous capture, and then, when you finish the capture, *save your
>preferences* by clicking "Save" in the dialog popped up by
>"Edit->Preferences".)
>
>Are you doing an "Update list of packets in real time" capture? If so,
>try doing a promiscuous capture with "Update list of packets in real
>time" *NOT* enabled - you can do a promiscuous-mode "Update list of
>packets in real time" capture in 0.8.18, but *ONLY* if your saved
>preferences have promiscuous mode enabled; see the parenthetical note in
>the previous paragraph (i.e., do a capture with promiscuous mode
>enabled, stop the capture, and then save your preferences).  (That is
>also a bug that will be fixed in the next release.)
>
>(There is no schedule yet for the next release.)

---
Best regards,
Andrew Wu.

// Andrew Yauhwa Wu,                                    awu@xxxxxxxxx //
// Nuera Communcations, Inc.                     http://www.nuera.com //
//              Warpped and Connected with OS/2 Warp V4               //