Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal 0.8.18 and promiscuous on Solaris 2.8

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:20:35 -0700 (PDT)
> I have Ethereal 0.8.18 installed on two Solaris 2.8 systems, one is a
> Ultra10 with hme NIC and one is a Compaq Deskpro with elxl NIC. Ethereal
> running on these two systems cannot put the network interface into
> promiscuous mode,

Is promiscuous mode enabled in the "Capture Preferences" dialog box?  If
not, you need to enable it - it's not the default in 0.8.18.  (It will
be the default in the next release, although if you've saved your
preferences when the most recent capture wasn't promiscuous, the default
will be the saved non-promiscuous value - you will need to do a
promiscuous capture, and then, when you finish the capture, *save your
preferences* by clicking "Save" in the dialog popped up by
"Edit->Preferences".)

Are you doing an "Update list of packets in real time" capture? If so,
try doing a promiscuous capture with "Update list of packets in real
time" *NOT* enabled - you can do a promiscuous-mode "Update list of
packets in real time" capture in 0.8.18, but *ONLY* if your saved
preferences have promiscuous mode enabled; see the parenthetical note in
the previous paragraph (i.e., do a capture with promiscuous mode
enabled, stop the capture, and then save your preferences).  (That is
also a bug that will be fixed in the next release.)

(There is no schedule yet for the next release.)