Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] still trying for _just_ ethereal

From: "Joesh Juphland" <part_lion@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:49:00 -0600
Yes, you are correct - when you 'make install' in the ports tree it does indeed drag in _everything_ and the kitchen sink with regards to X. And no, it does not install it correctly :)

So I took the other suggestion and got the source and ran:

    ./configure --disable-ethereal

And was faced with:

checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to glib-config.
configure: error: GLib distribution not found.

So it is looking for graphics items anyway. (this is 0.8.16 source, btw) - so does this mean that there are other --disable lines I need to do for other GUI programs, or does it mean that this way of just getting tethereal is not going to work ?

thanks.

On Tuesday 26 June 2001 18:48, Guy Harris wrote:
> > It's in the ports tree...
>
> ...and presumably drags in X when it's installed; perhaps it'll install
> all the X stuff automatically or correctly, but it's still likely to be a
> bit of a time-consuming operation.
>
> (It's also a package, for those of us who are lazy and, unless we expect
> to need the source to a program, don't want to be bothered with dragging
> said source in.)

(But, everybody needs the source... :-)

Yep, it sure drags in X... oh well. Just trying to be helpful.
I guess he has to get the tarball and make tethereal the "hard"
way then...

cheers,
--dr