Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Question about 802.11 presentation in AnonCVS version

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:34:11 -0700 (PDT)
> Now, as of the AnonCVS version today, it decodes the data
> packets and presents them as ethernet packets right off the bat.
> I.E. Instead of having a summary of an 802.11 Data packet, it
> now shows as a TCP packet.  Not a bad feature, but in some of my
> analysis work I like to see only MAC addresses (not the underlying
> IP addresses) in the summary.

Note that if you're only looking at the 802.11 part of the frame,
another alternative is to disable the LLC dissector, from the dialog box
popped up from the "Edit->Protocols" menu item (it's called "wlan" - the
disadvantage of using the protocol-filter name, rather than the short
name, in that dialog box; the disadvantage of using the short name is
that the short names are longer than the protocol-filter names, and the
dialog box gets bigger).

(I just did the same with HTTP when looking at a network trace just now,
as I wanted the TCP information in the headers.

It might conceivably be useful to somehow arrange to show *more than
one* line in the summary for packets, so that you could, say, see the
HTTP header *and* the TCP header....)