Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] About sinec H1

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 18:32:01 -0700
On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 09:42:31AM +0800, zhefang wrote:
>   Thans for your good tool.But I have problem with sinec h1 when I use
> ethereal(0.8.18).It can not see any sinec h1 contents.

"Can not see" in what sense?

Does OSI CLNP traffic that has Sinec H1 PDUs in it appear in your
captures, but does Ethereal not recognize it as H1 traffic?

Or does the traffic not appear in the capture at all, even as CLNP
traffic?

If it doesn't appear at all, are you running Ethereal on a machine
that's transmitting or receiving that traffic, or are you running it on
a third machine on the network?

If the latter, make sure that the "Capture packets in promiscuous mode"
button is set in the "Capture Preferences" dialog box; 0.8.18 defaults
to non-promiscuous mode (the next release will default to promiscuous
mode, although if you've saved preferences from the "Edit->Preferences"
menu, the default will be the value that was saved, so, after doing a
promiscuous-mode capture, you should pop up the "Preferences" dialog box
from the "Edit->Preferences" menu item and click "Save", to make sure
the saved preference for captures is promiscuous mode).