Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Error in installing ethereal-0.8.18

From: "Shashidhar Doma" <srdoma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:13:52 -0500

Hi,

I am trying to install ethereal-0.8.18 on Red Hat Linux 7.1. The following is the error I am getting when I run configure:-

[root@localhost ethereal-0.8.18]# configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for flex... flex
checking for flex... (cached) flex
checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
checking lex output file root... lex.yy
checking whether yytext is a pointer... yes
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for flex... /usr/bin/flex
checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking for pkgproto... no
checking for pkgmk... no
checking for pkgtrans... no
checking for rpm... yes
checking for rpm build directories... found
checking to see if we can add '-Wall' to CFLAGS... yes
checking for platform-specific compiler flags... none needed
checking for gtk-config... /usr/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... yes
checking for glib-config... /usr/bin/glib-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... yes
checking whether GLib supports loadable modules... yes
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking whether to use libpcap for packet capture... yes
checking for extraneous pcap header directories... found --  -I/usr/include/pcap
 added to CFLAGS
checking for net/bpf.h... yes
checking for pcap.h... yes
checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap... yes
checking whether to use zlib for reading compressed capture files... yes
checking for zlib.h... yes
checking for gzgets in -lz... yes
checking whether to enable ipv6 name resolution if available... yes
checking ipv6 stack type... unknown, none
checking whether to install ethereal setuid... no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for stdarg.h... yes
checking for netdb.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for sys/sockio.h... no
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking for sys/wait.h... yes
checking for netinet/in.h... yes
checking for stddef.h... yes
checking for arpa/inet.h... yes
checking whether to use SSL library if available... yes
checking whether to use SNMP library if available... yes
checking for ucd-snmp/snmp.h... yes
checking for ucd-snmp/version.h... yes
checking for snmp/snmp.h... no
checking for snmp/version.h... no
checking for sprint_objid in -lsnmp... no
checking for sprint_objid in -lsnmp... no
configure: error: SNMP header files found, but sprint_objid not found in SNMP li
brary.

It gives this error and stops. Can someone please help me understand what this problem is and how I can overcome it.

Thanks.