Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Compiling ethereal 08.18 on Solaris 8

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:59:06 -0700 (PDT)
> Yes, I got it to build on Solaris 8.  The problem seems to be quoting
> in libtool (or perhaps more specifically ltmain.sh).
>
> Just replace the ltmain.sh with the attached file and rerun configure.
> All I did was change four lines from
>
> test $some_var_never_set = "yes"

> test "$some_var_never_set" = "yes"

A diff between the ltmain.sh in the version of libtool installed here
(1.3.4) and the ltmain.sh in the Ethereal tarball (1.4) shows a number
of places where the *got rid of* quotes around variable names in 1.4.

(It also shows that they didn't have a "pic_mode" variable in 1.3.4.)

You should download 1.4, make a patch for it, and send it to
"bug-libtool@xxxxxxx"; see

	http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/libtool.html

for information on downloading the latest version, and on submitting bug
reports (they have, in the "Mailing List" section of that page, detailed
instructions on how to submit the bug report, and on what they want the
bug report to have).

(Note that I saw the same problem on Solaris 2.6, so it's not unique to
Solaris 8; it may not even be unique to Solaris.