Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:53:21 -0800
On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 03:38:03AM -0500, Perreault Patrick wrote:
>       Your software look to be very interesting but i have a question about
> it.Was it possible to run Ethereal in console (without XWindows) in your old
> versions.

No, Ethereal was originally just an X application, using the GTK+
toolkit.  We later made a tty-oriented application, Tethereal, as
mentioned in Jesus Salvo's mail; it uses the same packet-dissection
routines as Ethereal does.

It's a program similar to tcpdump or Sun's snoop, in that it's not an
interactive application like Ethereal; it either saves captured files to
packets (and displays a packet count, as snoop does), but doesn't decode
the packets, or decodes captured packets or packets from a
previously-saved capture, printing the decoded packets to the standard
output.

We may, at some point, have a curses-based version of Ethereal, i.e. an
interactive program like Ethereal that would work on a
cursor-addressable tty such as a PC's console (or an xterm, or a VT100,
or...).