Ethereal-users: [ethereal-users] Re: An updated version of the changes to fix "type of network i

From: Carl Klatsky <cklatsky@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:55:51 -0400
YESSS!!!  I rebuilt Ethereal with the versions of libpcap.c and
capture.c that were included in the original message below.  This worked
fine.  I was able to have atm interfaces selectable from the capture
pull down menu, and once selected I could capture on them.  I created
two atm interfaces and could capture on either one of them.  Also, when
running both but capturing on one, only that one's traffic is being
captured.

I now have a better understanding of the libpcap role.  My current
tcpdump, which works on my target machine, was built from source BUT
uses the libpcap.a that came off of my SuSE CD.  If I try to build
libpcap from the sources on my CD, then build tcpdump from that libpcap,
the resultant tcpdump doesn't work right.

My next question is, can I build libpcap from source using the libpcap.c
you sent?  If I can, then I think the changes you made will propagate
into my tcpdump, and I should then be able to capture from an atm
interface using tcpdump.  When I look in the source for my libpcap, I
only see a libpcap.a, not libpcap.c.  How/where does that archive get
built?  For me though, capture atm from tcpdump is secondary.  Using
Ethereal on atm was my goal, which I can now do.

I appreciate all of your help on this.

Carl

--
|Carl Klatsky	    |Ph:     732.530.4471     |
|3NO Systems, Inc.  |Fax:    732.530.2110     |