Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] Demande info

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:29:44 -0700
On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 11:55:36AM +1000, HOOD, Andy wrote:
> xlsfonts isn't included in Exceed. Your call on "unworthy of being called an
> X client".

Exceed isn't worthy of being called an X client, because it's basically
just an X server.  :-) It may have some bits of X client functionality,
but it's not a full-blown implementation of, say, all the client bits
from an X Consortium release.

(The thing sitting on your desk is an X server.  The big machine in the
computer room, running software that displays stuff on the thing sitting
on your desk, is an X client.)

I might amend my statement to "unworthy of being called a UNIX X client"
or "unworthy of being called an X client for an OS with a command line",
but in neither case does it apply to Exceed.

> If I understand Exceed's font display, fixed is either
> -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1
> or
> -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-13-100-100-100-c-60-iso8859-1

In the "misc" fonts subdirectory on my machine at home (which is both X
client *and* server), the "fonts.alias" file says that "fixed" is

	-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1

That may be the convention used in the X Consortium sample server, in
which case other servers (e.g., Exceed and the Accelerated-X on my
machine) may also use it.