Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] Build error with 0.8.11 ??

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 19:40:31 -0700
On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 06:32:38PM -0700, Barnaby DiAnni wrote:
> > If so, have you installed *ANY* other versions of UCD SNMP, and did that
> > version get installed *on top of* the original version, or did it get
>
> I have only
> [root@lt3 /usr/include/ucd-snmp]#
>
> > installed elsewhere?  (For example, do you have both
> > "/usr/include/ucd-snmp" and "/usr/local/include/ucd-snmp" directories,
> > and UCD SNMP libraries in both "/usr/lib" and "/usr/local/lib"?)
>
> Only /usr/lib

So:

	1) what does

		egrep snmp_set_suffix_only /usr/include/ucd-snmp/*.h

	   report?

	2) what does

		nm -po /usr/lib/libsnmp.* | egrep snmp_set_suffix_only

	   report?

> Thanks for the instant response, could i simply get rid of ucd-snmp to
> build ethereal successfully?

If you got rid of it in its entirety, it'd probably help, but it's
overkill - just do

	./configure --disable-snmp

to build without the SNMP library.

However, my goal here isn't just to make it possible for you to build
Ethereal on your machine, it's to keep this from happening to anybody
else, so I still want to see the output of the commands I supplied above
- I suspect that somehow snmp_set_suffix_only isn't getting #defined
when "packet-snmp.c" is being compiled and, as there's no
"snmp_set_suffix_only()" library routine in UCD SNMP 4.1.1, just a
macro, the link is failing because the code that refers to
"snmp_set_suffix_only()" is compiling into a call to a routine named
"snmp_set_suffix_only()" rather than being expanded into a call to
"ds_set_int()" with the appropriate arguments.