Ethereal-users: [ethereal-users] Decoding RTP PDU Headers

From: "Peter Harper-Roberts" <Peter.Harper-Roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:19:31 +0100
Has anyone been successful in seeing RTP PDUs above UDP? I have tried with
Microsoft Net Meeting and Speak freely VoIP distributions, both of which
claim to use RTP. RTP/RTCP is supported by Ethereal and it looks like the
RTP PDU may be embedded in the UDP data - I have only briefly tried to
decode it however so I can't guarantee this.

RFC1889 suggests that application designers can change the format and this
may be why Ethereal cannot decode these specific RTP headers. In view of the
support provided for RTP I would be interested in knowing what the criteria
are for Ethereal to decode an RTP header.

I have briefly used the application to decode SNMPv1 and v3 PDUs over UDP
and this seems to work fine.

Peter Harper-Roberts