Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] DNP3 dissector

From: George Utley <gutxxx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:36:21 +1000
I have tested Ethereal with DNP3 traffic and believe I have found a
bug in the DNP3 application layer dissector. In DNP3, READ fragments
do not have Information Objects. Only the headers have Information
Objects, since they only specify the points to be read, not their
value. The response fragment has both the headers and the Information
Objects.

However the DNP3 application layer dissector is treating READ request
fragments as if they do have Information Objects following the object
headers, and is therefore parsing subsequent object headers after the
first object header as if they were Information Objects. Should I add
this to the bugs database?

Also what are the development plans for the DNP3 application layer
dissector? Is anyone working on it at the moment? Is any assistance
required? I am particularly keen to add floating point and file
objects.