Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Packet Creation

From: Tom Benstead <tom_benstead@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:49:20 +0100 (BST)
> > How do I go about creating a new data packet?
>
> What do you mean by "creating a new data packet"?
> Are you talking about
> adding the ability to transmit an arbitrary packet
> from Ethereal, or
> about editing a capture file and inserting a new
> packet into it?

I am just playing about with the cfile structure and
was hoping that by editing cfile.pd I could get the
save method to save my changes out to a new capture
file. But it seems that when you save a capture file,
the capture file is re-loaded before saving. I tested
this by loading a capture file into Ethereal, then
used an external hex editor to change the file. When I
went back into Ethereal and saved the capture, the
external changes were saved too. I would have thought
Ethereal would have used the contents of cfile.pd to
create the new capture file but this does not seem to
be the case.

Tom.