Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] [RFC] Match and Prepare context menu itemnames

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 20:01:18 +0200
Biot Olivier wrote:

Now that I am thinking a little more about this, I'd like
to have the following possibilities:

Operator | is present | has the selected value
---------+------------+------------------------
 (N/A)  |      x     |           x
  not   |      x     |           x
  and   |      x     |           x
  or    |      x     |           x
and not |      x     |           x
or not  |      x     |           x

The first items replace the current filter expression,
while the last 4 rows append to the existing filter.

Maybe a new dialog is more suitable than a nested
2-level menu for offering the end-user the possible
options. That would mean trading use speed for clarity.
Yes, I'm thinking about using a dialog for this, too. The current implementation is very hard to understand. The Statistics/Conversation dialog also has some extended context items which are even more complicated (not understandable without deeply thinking about it).

|> Maybe we can expand the context menu by replacing
|> "Selected" with the field
|> name and value, if the selection is a field or protocol?
|
|I'm currently looking exactly how to do this (didn't found an |easy way until now), as this would "boost" intuitivity IMHO.

How about the PITEM_FINFO() accessor macro and for example the
code for proto_item_append_string() in epan/proto.c?
Missunderstanding! I was looking for a way to change items in the context menu. In the meantime I had a look at this and now understand how to do it.

|> if no filter is available yet,
|> then the and/or options must be grayed out.
|
|Yes, that's related to fill in the currently selected "thing" |into the menuitems label (currently I just don't know how, but |looking at it).

Isn't that related to the fact whether there currently is a
display filter or not, so it should be somewhere in the cfile
global variable.
Again missunderstanding, I didn't know how to access the menu items to gray them out, but I've know now (same as above).

Regards, ULFL