Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Bug in Interface Options dialog

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:53:21 +0100
Biot Olivier wrote:

|From: Ulf Lamping
|
|Ethereal development <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am |24.02.04 10:43:10: |> |> BTW it also applies to the official Windows 0.10.2 build |whenever you have
|> more than one capture device. I have WinPCap 3.1 installed.
|> |
|I have two network cards, and I don't see this bug.
|Maybe that's a bug of your WinPCap version? The 3.1 is still |considered beta.
|
|I'm using WinPCap version 3.0 and it seems to be working fine!

However adding a name to an interface is an Ethereal thing, so this should
be independent from the WinPCap stuff. I think it has to do with some memory
access error in parts of a maybe uninitialized string somewhere in the
capture settings code. Maybe the GTK+ callback returns only parts of the
data, or an incorrect member of a struct containing the interface
description and its assigned name. Maybe one of the members is not
initialized?

I can know reproduce what you mean.

The bug appears only in the GTK2 version, the GTK1 version is ok (at least on my machine).

However, I honestly don't want to look for that bug, as the design of the dialog is completely insane IMHO.

I never understand why two interface lists are needed.

It should be working just like the Display Filter dialog.

The user selects the interface in the "Current Options" frame and then edit the Preferences of this interface in the "Edit interface options".

So there's no need for the interface list in the "Edit interface options" at all.

This should fix the described bug too ;-)

Regards, ULFL