Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problems compiling pcap-util.c

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:25:44 +0100
Hi Guy,

see my comments below.

Best regards
Michael

On 24. Feb 2004, at 1:47 Uhr, Guy Harris wrote:

Michael Tuexen said:
I have problems compiling pcap-util.c in the current CVS on Mac OS X.

Did you just get the latest Security Update for Panther?

Yes.
If so, unfortunately, it introduces a Shiny New Libpcap (which it didn't
have to do - it picks up tcpdump 0.8.1, to fix some possible security
holes, but 0.8.1 should work Just Fine with the older 0.6-vintage libpcap that was in 10.3) but doesn't include the Shiny New Header Files for that
libpcap.
So, if you're running Mac OS X 10.3[.x] and just got the latest Security
Update, try replacing "/usr/include/pcap.h" with the one in the libpcap
0.8.1 source tree, and also install libpcap 0.8.1's "pcap-stdinc.h" and
"pcap-bpf.h" in "/usr/include" - or just configure, make, and make install
libpcap 0.8.1 - and then, in the Ethereal source tree, do a "make
distclean", re-run configure, and do a make.

That worked. But it should not be necessary to reinstall a library which is part of the System. Should I file a bug report at Apples website? Or will it be fixed by the next release of OS X? Or does ethereal to work around it?

Thank you very much for the help.