Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ethereal 0.10.1 - changelog

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:59:36 -0800 (PST)
Gerald Combs said:
> Agreed.  I'll go ahead and fix the ChangeLog.  What should we do about
> the ASN.1 "default.tt" problem?  Should we include a dummy "default.tt"
> with the distribution, or set the default ASN.1 file to an empty string?

I vote for "make the default an empty string" - a dummy file might
suppress the complaints, but I don't see what real advantage it provides,
and also don't see the advantage of having a default pathname, regardless
of whether it refers to a file that we try to load if present and on which
we silently ignore failures or to a file that we supply by default but
that contains nothing.

Making the default an empty string won't suppress the complaints, but I
think the way to do that is to, on Windows, suppress "file not found"
errors for that file if the pathname is the old default, with a "/" rather
than a "\" before the last component.  I've checked in a change that
should do so, although I haven't yet tried compiling or testing it on
Windows (as I don't have a Windows machine on which to compile it at
work).